All Emerald Racing Club members are licensed by the Washington Horse Racing Commission as owners. This Owners License allows you access to the restricted backstretch and barn area.
However, this is a privilege, not a right, and we ask that you be respectful of the barn rules as outlined below.
If you require will call reservations, please contact the Horsemen’s Liaison Dana Claxton at 253-288-7753.
The barn is open to visitors 6:30 am – 12:30 am on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The afternoon is the quiet rest time for both horses and grooms. Please be respectful of their work and only visit during the hours designated above. Archie Graham is located in barn 2 West.
The barn is NOT OPEN to visitors any time on Saturday and Sunday if the Ross’ have a horse entered. Race days are a busy time for the staff and the horses get special attention on these days. For this reason, we ask that you refrain from visiting the barn on the weekend if they have a horse entered. If they do not have a horse entered, visiting hours are the same as noted during the week. We have volunteers willing to escort you back to the barn if you have never visited before so please email me if you’d like some guidance for your first visit. The backstretch can be a little overwhelming!
Watch training anytime! You are welcome to come out to the track and watch training at any time on the track apron (the tarmac stretching in front of the grandstand all along the track to the turn and Quarter Chute Cafe). Training hours are 6:30 am – 11:30 am, with a renovation break at 8:30 – 9. The track is closed for training on Tuesdays. Once Archie is in a routine, I’ll alert you to when he typically will be on the track to train.
The track kitchen aka Quarter Chute Cafe is open to the public and is a great place to watch training. You’ll also likely see Sharon Ross walking back and forth (or driving her golf cart) as each set of horses goes out to train. If you are wearing your lanyard, she’ll be able to easily recognize you as a Club member.
Emerald Downs gates do not open until approximately 9 am, so if you come before that, you’ll have to enter by the Quarterchute Cafe and walk up the track apron towards the grandstand.
1) Visits only Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday between 6:30 am – 12:30 am
2) No barn visits on weekends if a horse from the Ross barn is entered. You are still welcome to watch training.
2) Do not walk through other people’s barns. You own one horse that resides in Barn 2 West. It is disrespectful to go through other shedrows without an invitation.
3) Wear your Emerald Racing Club lanyard with your racing license.
4) If you have guests accompanying you, you must sign them in at security and accompany them at all times. Keep groups small – no larger than 6 in a group.
5) Horses bite, kick and can be reactive. Use good “horse sense” when in the barns. NEVER reach out to a horse you don’t know and keep your eyes and ears open at all times.
6) Be respectful. There are other horses in the Ross barn owned by others.